Paupiettes of Venison
- 8 thin slices of venison cut from either the round or the loin
(should weigh 1 ounce each)
- 1/8 pound of mushrooms
- 1 egg
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 pound bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons of finely chopped lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon of bread crumbs
- Bacon drippings
- Salt and pepper
- One teaspoon of thyme
- A handful of fresh parsley, minced
- Fry the onions, mushrooms and bacon in a little dripping. Mix in the
lemon peel, bread crumbs, parsley and seasoning, and a beaten egg.
- Flatten out each piece of venison. Season with pepper, salt and
thyme. On each slice, lay a bit of the stuffing, roll up the meat and
secure with a toothpick or tie with string.
- Roll them in flour and brown them in bacon drippings. Add water, just
to cover, and simmer very slowly for 10 minutes. Crush the garlic and add
this and the mustard to the sauce. Cook for another 30 minutes at a slow
simmer. The sauce should be creamy.
- Serve with rice or mashed potatoes.