Venison Stew with Chocolate and Sausages
Try it. Just try it... you'll like it.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 pound slab bacon, cut in 3 or 4 pieces
- 2 pounds of venison shoulder or haunch, cut into 1 & 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 large onions chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic peeled
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 sprig parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 cup beef broth or water
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon grated bitter chocolate
- 2 large potatoes, peeled, cubed and parboiled
- 4 sweet Italian style sausages
- Place the oil and bacon in a deep casserole. Cook slowly so the bacon
may render. Add the venison, turning up the heat. Brown the venison well.
Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion wilts. Sprinkle in the
flour. Add the wine, parsley, bay leaf, oregano, thyme, and broth. Season
with salt and pepper. Cover and cook at a simmer for 2 hours, or until
the meat is tender. Stir in the chocolate, potatoes; continue cooking
until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- In a separate pan, saute the sausages. Slice the sausages and serve
the stew by placing sausage slices around the stew.
Return to the List of Recipes