Here's another hot day meal. Lentil salad is nutritious and easy to make. It's another farmer's market special - veggies from the farmer's market.
- 1.5 cups of French green lentils (note: these are teeny, tiny lentils)
- 2/3 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tbs. chopped mint
- 2 - 3 tbs. herbs de provence (Cost Plus sells this)
- 5 scallions finely chopped
- 2 French carrots (these are stubby, intensely orange carrots) chopped fine
- 2 stalks of celery, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup of Sweet 100's cherry tomatoes
- 1 Italian long bell pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse the lentils. Cover with cold water,
have at least an inch of water above the lentils. Cook by bringing to a
boil, and then reducing to a simmer. Cook until just done - about 20 to 25
minutes. The lentils should be firm. Do not overcook them for this dish.
When lentils are cooked, drain them. You may wish to save the leftover
lentil liquid for soup.
- Now, add the rest of the ingredients. You want
to add the oil, herbs de provence, and vinegar to the lentils while they
are still hot. Put the herbs de provence in your palm and grind them up
with your hands until they turn into a powder.
- When you prep the
veggies, be sure to chop them finely - almost a mince. Leave the cherry
tomatoes whole. That's why I suggest Sweet 100's - they're a small cherry
- Allow the flavors to blend for at least 6 hours before
serving. Serve at room temperature.
- This is a pretty salad because of
the color contrast between the veggies and the lentils.
- Makes about 5
cups of salad - should be enough for 6 servings or more if part of a cold
Return to the List of Recipes