Gazpacho of the Sea
Gazpacho is the Spanish "salad in a drinking glass". There are many versions of gazpacho. This one uses canned tomato sauce and clam juice for a refreshing and easily prepared gazpacho. The recipe is scaled down for the smaller family.
- An 8 ounce can of no salt added tomato sauce
- ½ cup of clam juice
- 5 inches of English cucumber, peeled
- ¼ of a green bell pepper
- ¼ of a small onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 & ½ teaspoons fish sauce (nuoc nam)
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon dried dill weed
- 2 or 3 shakes of Crystal hot sauce
- Salt to taste
- In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, puree thoroughly the cucumber, bell pepper, onion, and garlic clove.
- Pour into a small serving jug.
- Add tomato sauce, clam juice, fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, dill and the hot sauce.
- Stir to mix.
- Salt to taste.
Chill overnight in the refrigerator to give the flavors time to blend.
Serve cold or over crushed ice.
Makes 2 or 3 servings.
Return to the List of Recipes