80% of jobs are found through personal networking. To help you, here’s a list of Silicon Valley associations for many professions.
This list was assembled by Prof. Chris Benner for his book on work in Silicon Valley.
Silicon Valley Associations
American Marketers Association-Silicon Valley Chapter (www.svama.org): The chapter sponsors meetings, workshops, and seminars where members meet and exchange ideas with leading innovators and thinkers in business, research, and academia. It also provides a forum to expand personal and professional contacts by networking with Silicon Valley marketing professionals.
Association for Computing Machinery– Bay Area Chapter (www.sfbayacm.org): Local chapter of one of the oldest educational and scientific computing societies. Hosts monthly meetings and networking opportunities.
Association for Information Technology Professionals (www.aitp.org): National association that began in the 1950s with machine accountants in Chicago. Evolved into the AITP in 1996. Has local chapters around the country, including San Jose.
Bay Area Association of Database Developers (www.baadd.org): Promotes career potential of database developers through meetings, seminars, communication, publications and other program activities
Bay Chi (Computer and Human Interaction) (www.baychi.org): BayCHI is the San Francisco Bay Area chapter of the ACM Special Interest Group on Computer-Human Interaction (SIGCHI). They host their meetings at Xerox PARC
BayLISA (www.baylisa.org): The Bay Area Large Installation Systems Administration Users Group provides monthly meetings for members to stay up on changes in the industry, to network and improve their career opportunities. It is the local chapter of SAGE.
Black Data Processing Association–Bay Area Chapter (www.bdpabac.org): Local chapter founded in 1990. Focus on increasing opportunities for African American professionals in information technology industries. Monthly meetings in Oakland and Cupertino. Also sponsors high school internship program.
Chinese Institute of Engineers (CIE/USA) (www.cie-sf.org): Promotes Communication and interchange of information among Chinese engineers and scientists
Chinese Software Professionals Association (www.cpsa.com): Promotes technology collaboration and facilitates information exchange in the software profession.
East Bay I.T. Group (www.ebig.org): eBig.org is the East Bay’s leading technology forum. Connected to the best and brightest developers, entrepreneurs, and start-ups in the San Francisco East Bay, with strong ties to indudustry experts, major technology corporations, and local municipalities. eBig is the resource for information, education, and personal networking.
Graphic Artists Guild of Northern California (gag.org): Promotes the economic interests of member artists. Committed to improving conditions for all creators of graphic art and raising standards for the entire industry.
HTML Writers Guild (www.hwg.org): World’s largest international organization of Web authors with over 98,000 members in more than 130 nations worldwide. The HWG assists members in developing their skills, and compiles information about standards, practices, techniques, competency, and ethics as applied to web authoring.
Monte Jade Science and Technology Association (MJSTA) (www.montejade.org): Promotes the cooperation and mutual flow of technology and investment between Taiwan and the United States
National Writers Union (NWU) (www.nwu.org): For technical writers. Job hotline, health insurance, and other benefits.
Professional & Technical Consultants Association (www.patca.org): Professional association of independent consultants and principals who work in small consulting firms. Based in Silicon Valley
Silicon Valley Association of Software Entrepreneurs (www.svase.org): Facilitates the creation of new computer software business ventures, improves the financial performance of existing vensures, and promotes and supports the commercialization of computer software technologies.
Silicon Valley Chinese Engineers Association (SCEA): Network of Mainland Chinese engineers to promote entrepreneurship and professionalism among members and establish ties to China.
Silicon Valley Help Desk Institute (www.svhdi.com)
Provides training, educational materials, and a networking forum for Help Desk/Support Center professionals.
Silicon Valley Indian Professionals Association (SIPA) (www.sipa.org)
Forum for expatriate Indians to contribute to cooperation between United States and India
Silicon Valley Linux Users Groups (www.svlug.org): A users group that started as part of the Silicon Valley Computer Society, and promotes networking and information sharing related to LINUX, and free or low-cost implementations of UNIX
Silicon Valley Web Guild (www.webguild.org): Dedicated to the education and professional development of the San Francisco Bay area Webmaster community.
Silicon Valley Women in HR (www.ourhrsite.com): Silicon Valley Women in Human Resources Group is an informal group meeting on a regular basis to network and share information. We occasionally have speakers and sponsor a few dinners a year with topics of interest to women in our community.
Society for Technical Communication (STC.org): STC is an individual membership organization dedicated to advancing the arts and sciences of technical communication.
The Indus Entrepreneur (TiE) (www.tie.org): Fosters entrepreneurship by providing mentorship and resources.
The following list of associations was collected by Kristen Kuhns of eBig.org
- Bay Area .NET Users Group
- CEO Networking Group
- Chinese Information and Networking Association
- Chinese Software Professional Association
- East Bay IT Group | eBig SIGs | .NET SIG | COMM SIG | Delphi SIG | Design SIG | Java SIG | Life Sciences SIG | PLM / Collaboration | Sales & Marketing | Start Ups / VC SIG | XML / Web Services SIG |
- http://www.dvmug.org/ Mac Users
- http://www.tvnug.org/ Network Admin Users Group
- http://www.tvsg.org/ Security Group
- http://www.eblug.org Linux Users
- GraceNet (Women in Computers)
- Haas Entrepreneurs Association
- Hua Yuan Science and Technology Association
- Independent Computer Consultants Association (ICCA-SBFA)
- Jewish High Tech Community
- MIT Club of Northern California
- Monte Jade Science and Technology Association
- Partners for Entrepreneurial Leadership (PEL) at UC Berkeley
- Ryze Business Networking
- SCEA – Silicon Valley Chinese Engineers Association
- Silicon Valley Chinese Wireless Technology Association (SVCWireless)
- Silicon Valley Association of Software Entrepreneurs (SVASE)
- Silicon Valley Association of Business Communicators (SV-IABC)
- Silicon Valley Indian Professionals Association
- Silicon Valley Java Users Group (SVJUG)
- Software Development Forum. Special Interest Groups (SIGs) include: Business Intelligence | Delphi | e-Business/SF | Founders Forum | International | Java | Marketing | Pervasive Comp. | Security | Venture Finance | Visual Basic | Voice | Web Services | Windows | Wireless Media | XML
- The Business Association of Stanford Engineer Students (BASES)
- The Churchill Club
- The Enterprise Network
- The Indus Entrepreneurs
- The Leadership Forum
- Vietnamese Silicon Valley Network
- Wharton West Entrepreneurs Club
- Wharton Club of Northern California
- Women of the Web – San Francisco (WoW)
- Workforce Silicon Valley
- Asian American Manufacture Association http://www.aamasv.com/
- Chinese American Semiconductor Professional Association http://www.caspa.com/
- Silicon Valley Chinese Overseas Business Association http://www.scoba.org/
- Silicon Valley Chinese Engineer Association http://www.scea.org/
- Chinese Software Professionals Association http://www.cspa.com/
- Asian Business Association
- Asian Business League of San Francisco
- Asia-Silicon Valley Connection
- Cnetwork http://www.cnetwork.org/
- Chinese Information & Networking Association
- HuaYuan Science and Technology Association http://www.huayuan.org/
- Hong Kong Association of Northern California
- Hong Kong Economic and Trade Office
- Japanese American Chamber of Commerce of Silicon Valley
- Japan Society of Northern California
- Korean Trader Organization of Northern California
- Monte Jade Science & Technology Association
- North America Chinese Semiconductor Association
- Silicon Valley Chinese American Computer Association
- Silicon Valley Chinese Wireless Technology Association
- Silicon Valley Indian Professional
- Silicon Valley Science and Technology Association
- National Association of Asian American Professionals, SF http://www.naaapsf.org/
- China-U.S. Technology Association www.chinaustech.org
- Silicon Valley Business Associations www.svba.net
Local Alumni Associations
- Harvard Club of Northern California http://www.harvardclub-norcal.org/hcsf
- Harvard Club of Silicon Valley http://www.harvardclub-norcal.org/hcsv
- London Business School http://www.lbsalumni.com/
- MIT Club of Northern CA http://www.mitcnc.org
- USC Marshall School http://www.marshall.usc.edu/alumni/chapters/sf/events_sf.html
- InterFrench Silicon Valley Chapter is the largest French-speaking professional network of Silicon Valley. http://www.SiliconFrench.com
- L’Executive Club is the largest for French-speaking executives. http://www.LExecutiveClub.com/
- American Marketing Association (AMA) http://www.ama.org/
- Silicon Valley Chapter http://www.svama.org/
- Association for Corporate Growth (ACG) http://www.acg.org/
- Silicon Valley Chapter http://www.acg.org/sv/
- Association for Financial Professionals (AFP) http://www.afponline.org/
- Association of Internet Professionals (AIP)
- Silicon Valley Chapter http://www.webguild.org/
- Financial Executives Institute (FEI) http://www.fei.org/
- Silicon Valley Chapter http://www.feiscv.org/
- San Francisco Chapter http://www.feisfba.org/
- Institute of Management Accountants http://www.imanet.org/
- Institute of Management Consultants USA (IMCUSA) http://www.imcusa.org/
- Northern California Chapter http://www.imcnorcal.org/
- National Association for Corporate Treasurers (NACT) http://www.nact.org/
- National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD) http://www.nacdonline.org/
- Silicon Valley Chapter http://www.svnacd.org/
- National Association of Women Business Owners (NAWBO)http://www.nawbo.org/
- San Francisco Chapter (NAWBO-SF) http://www.nawbo-sf.org/
- National Business Incubators Association (NBIA) http://www.nbia.org/
- Young Entrepreneurs Organization (YEO) http://www.yeo.org/
- Young Presidents Organization (YPO) http://www.ypo.org/
Local Asian American Groups
- Asian American Manufacturing Association (AAMA) http://www.aamasv.com
- Asian-Silicon Valley Connection (ASVC) http://www.asvc.org/
- Chinese Software Professionals Associa-tion (CSPA) http://www.cspa.com
- Japan Society http://www.usajapan.org/
- Keizai Society http://www.keizai.org/
- Monte Jade Science and Technology As-sociation http://www.mtjade.org/
- TEC International, An International Organization of CEO’s (TEC) http://www.teconline.com
- The Indus Entrepreneurs (TIE) http://www.tie.org
Local Networking Groups
- International Angel’s Investors (IAI) www.Angelinvestors.org
- Churchill Club http://www.churchillclub.org
- Digital MBAs http://www.digitalmbas.org
- Financial Women’s Association of San Francisco (FWASF) http://www.fwasf.org
- Forum for Women Entrepreneurs (FWE) http://www.fwe.org
- Layoff Lounge http://www.layofflounge.com/index.html
- North California Human Resources As-sociation (NCHRA) http://www.nchra.org
- Northern California Pharmaceutical Dis-cussion Group http://www.ncpdg.org
- Pacific Incubation Network (PIN) http://www.pacificincubation.org/
- SF Micro Angels http://www.sfmicroangels.org
- Silicon Spot http://www.siliconspot.com
- Silicon Valley Association of Software Entrepreneurs (SVASE) http://www.svase.org
- Stanford MIT Venture Lab http://www.vlab.org
- Startup University http://www.startupuniversity.com/sfbay
- Society for Competitive Intelligence Pro-fessionals http://www.scip.org
- Software Development Forum http://www.sdforum.org
- World Internet Center http://www.worldinternetcenter.com
- Wireless Communication Alliance http://www.wca.org
Political Affairs Groups
- EuroCircle http://www.eurocircle.com