andreas.com FAQ: VC Funding and MoneyTree
Every quarter, PriceWaterhouseCooper (a major accounting firm) publishes a study on VC funding in the USA. Based on reports from dozens of VC companies, the study is a list of VC companies, amount of investment, the sector of investment, and the companies that recieved funding. Companies that got funding in the last 12 weeks are in the process of adding staff and projects. In short: if you’re looking for a job, then this is a good place to look.
The report is named Moneytree and has its website at www.pwcmoneytree.com. A summary of this report is published quarterly in the San Jose Mercury News. It includes:
- Text summary of the quarterly report
- A chart of investments by sectors
- Clickable list of funded companies
- Search engine to find companies
Don’t fire off a resume to every company. That’s just a waste of time.
- Pick a sector that you understand or where you have experience (for example, if you have experience in semiconductors, then look in that sector.)
- Narrow the list down to companies within commuting distance.
- Study the short list of companies to see how they are doing. For example, use Yahoo’s finance pages (http://finance.yahoo.com) to see their investor reports.
Your next step: See the FAQ on How to Research a Company