andreas.com FAQ: Find Jobs in Silicon Valley
If you know of other resources, please send them to me. If you find a site has closed, let me know so I can remove it.
Sign up for automated email alerts (set to Daily). You must apply as soon as the job is posted. Companies get so many replies that they ignore replies after 48 hours.
- ZipRecruiter.com will post your resume to 100 job boards, including Glassdoor, Monster, LinkedIn, and more.
- Glassdoor.com gives you reviews of the company by current/past employees. Is the company truly innovative, or they just say that? Is the CEO an inspirational leader or is he just a jerk? What are salary ranges for your job title? I’ve worked in many companies and I’ve seen managers who jerk workers around on salary. Glassdoor lets you know what companies are paying.
- Indeed.com includes two useful tools: Table of Salaries: See trends and comparisons of salaries for your job. Add multiple jobs and compare the salaries (e.g., “blogger vs. webmaster vs. journalist”). This will give you backup info when you ask for your raise. Trends in Job Listings: In a dead-end job? Try “blogger, webmaster, journalist” and see which one is rising or dropping!
- If you want to work at a startup, sign up at AngelList. But be careful: startups are not like what they show in movies or TV. You work extremely hard (10-14 hours daily, six days a week) for a year or two. The chances of success are less than 5%. Yes, only one in 20 startups will survive (and that’s “survive”, not “make it big”). Highly likely, you will burn out and get little out of it. You can compare startup salaries and equity offers at AngelList Salary Comparison.
Work at a Startup?
These job boards specialize in openings at venture-backed startups. Be careful. Talk with experienced people first. Read my page about working at startups.
- AngelList for jobs at startups
- VentureFizz.com (jobs at Boston and NYC startups)
General SV Job Boards
Post your resume to these job boards and sign up for the automated daily emails of new jobs.
List of Venture Capitalists
So you’re ready to work at a startup. VCs avoid recruiters in order to reduce expenses. This means VCs have lists of jobs for the companies they are creating. A typical VC company manages about 25-50 startups. Here are several VC companies:
- Kleiner Perkins
- Menlo Ventures
- Hummer Winblad
- Bessemer Venture Partners
- Brentwood VC
- Digital Technology Partners
- Idea Lab
- Sequoia Capital
- Red Leaf
- Draper VC
- There’s also Yahoo’s List of Venture Capitalists
These are also useful:
- Craigslist and Oodle.com have RSS feeds for their pages (Oodle.com is a collection of US classified ads.) This means you can use an RSS reader to notify you of new jobs. Learn to Use an RSS Reader.
List of SV Recruiters, Ranked by Size
There are over 250 recruiting agencies in Silicon Valley. The best ones are specialized (for example, they place only chip engineers) and small (only one or two people with deep connections to their industry.) Here are the twenty-six largest recruiting agencies. (List from the Silicon Valley Business Journal, January 2000.)
This list is not a recommendation. Most agencies are honest, but a few are not. In fact, some are scoundrels. Why do I list them anyway? As Chairman Deng of the Chinese Communist Party once said: “It doesn’t matter if the cat is black or white as long as it catches mice.” And some of these cats are very dark indeed. So keep your eyes open and talk with others who’ve dealt with that agency.
The smaller agencies put much more effort into building long-term relationships. So start at the bottom and work your way up.
- Advanced Technical Resources
- Echo Design
- US Caden
- Essential Solutions
- Silicon Valley Technical Staffing
- Technical Temps
- Kelly IT Resources
- Taos Mountain
- RHI Consulting
- ComTech Staffing
- Albin Engineering
- Technology Search
- ESG Consulting
- Complimate Technical Staffing
- Analysts International
- Montage Solutions
List of Lists
AIRS Outplacement has a large list of links, incl. job boards, recruiters, newspaper classified job listings, and so on.
101 Job Boards
Lisa Carlson came up with this list of 100 job sites.
- 3k Associates
- Allpm.com (jobs for project mangers)
- American Jobs
- Americas Job Bank
- Area Jobs
- California Jobs
- Career City
- Career Alta Vista
- Career Builder
- Career Consulting
- Career Exchange
- Career Exposure
- Career Journal
- Career Mag
- Career Magic
- Career Marketplace
- Career Mosaic
- Career Shop
- Career Web
- CE Weekly
- College Recruiter
- Data Frenzy
- Defense Jobs
- The Destiny Group
- Operation Transit
- E-IT Wizards
- Employment 911
- Engineer Central
- Engineer Jobs
- Electronic Recruiting
- GeoWeb Interactive
- Help Wanted
- Hot Resumes
- IT Talent.com
- Java Jobs Online
- Job Ads Usa
- Job Bank
- Job Find
- Jobs 4 IT
- Jobs Online
- Local Staff
- NewYorkJobs.com: Connecting job seekers with employers in New York, New England and the Tri-State area.
- Operation IT
- Oracle Jobs Network
- Pro-E Job Network
- Jobs For Programmers
- Recruiters Online Network
- Recruit USA
- Software Contractor’s
- Sensor Jobs
- Skill Bot
- TechJob Bank
- Tek Bay
- Unix Guru Universe
- USA Jobs: US government’s job board
- US Job Board
- Vault Match
- World Job Mart
Job Boards for Independent Contractors
The following web sites are for independent contractors (ICs.) You can find contract jobs here, look for contracts, post your resume, and so on.
- contractor.com: Mostly for building contractors, but some computer ICs.
- Craig’s List
- dice.com: Dice has grown into general job board, but it is still very popular among SV ICs.
Public Relations Agencies (PR)
PR agencies that specialize in SV.
- Brown-Miller Communications: San Francisco.
- Carter Israel: San Jose.
- Davis.Comm: San Francisco.
- Eason Communications: San Francisco.
- The Horn Group: HGI in Burlingame.
- The Larose Group: San Francisco.
- Lee Public Relations: Redwood City.
- Oak Ridge Public Relations, Inc.: Cupertino.
- Pacifico Marketing Communications: San Jose.
- Pat Meier Associates PR: San Francisco.
- P2PR.com: Phase Two Strategies in San Francisco.
- SIPR: Redwood City.
- Strategy Associates:
- Versaggi Biocommunications: San Francisco.
- WebPR: San Jose.
- Horizon Public Relations & Communications, Inc.: Santa Clara.
- The Hoffman Agency:
- MMPR (Multimedia Marketing & PR): MMPR San Francisco.
- Shape Technology: Sunnyvale.
- Patch & Carlson: San Francisco.
- Neale-May & Partners: Palo Alto.
- Connect Public Relations: San Francisco.
MarCom (Marketing Communications)
Sites for marcom jobs…
- Business Marketing Association (BMA) of Northern California norcalbma.org
- Silicon Valley American Marketing Association SVAMA.org
Sites for biotech jobs…